Don’t let my rubbish photographs fool you. This is by far THE BEST dish EVER!
For the ‘meat sauce’:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- A bunch of spring onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2½ cups of dry soya mince meat
- 1 cup of sun dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp mint
- 1¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup of red wine
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A drizzle of olive oil
For the ‘cheese’ sauce:
- 2 cups unsweetened soya milk
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp fine garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder or one cube
- 1 heaped tbsp of wholegrain mustard
- A little water if needed
For the layers:
- 2 aubergines (peeled and cut lengthways)
- 2 medium courgettes (peeled and cut lengthways)
- 2 cups vegan grated cheese of your choice
- Smoked paprika and dried parsley (sprinkled on top)
The how to:
For the ‘meat sauce’
- Prepare your vegan mince according to packet instructions.
- Heat up the oil in large pan on a medium high heat and add your spring onions.
- Add you garlic and stir until slightly golden.
- Pop in your red pepper and tomato puree, and mix it up.
- Now add your vegan mince, and stir through. Then add all the remaining ingredients. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
For the ‘lasagne’:
- Peel your aubergines and courgette.
- Use a mandolin to slice evenly lengthways.
- Pre-heat a large frying pan with some vegan butter.
- Cook all layers on both sides until golden and set aside.
For the ‘cheese sauce’:
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together.
- Heat the mixture up on a medium high heat. Do not stop stirring it!!! Whisk until a sexy thick consistency. Lower the heat, and continue cooking for a further minute or so then set aside.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190ºC
- Grab a large oven proof dish deep enough to layer up. Place some aubergine slices across the bottom so they over lap. Add half the ‘meat’ sauce, then courgette and then some of the ‘cheese’ sauce. Repeat. Aubergine, ‘meat’ sauce, courgette, ‘cheese’ sauce.
- Don’t worry if there isn’t enough to seal the final layers. It will make the top of the lasagne look sexy, trust me.
- Add the grated vegan cheese evenly on top and sprinkle the smoked paprika and parsley on top.
- Pop it in the over for 30-40 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving as it’ll be very VERY hot.
Use a spoon to even out the ingredients as you layer up.