An impressive Healthy meal for a first time cook. This medley of flavours will knock your socks off.
even if you don’t need 4 servings make the whole batch wrap each ball in cling film instead of baking. Store in a freeze safe container ready for you to defrost and cook at your leisure. NOT in the microwave might I add! pop however many you need on a plate the night before and leave to thaw in the fridge….Why? because microwave defrosting partly cooks your food and makes it rubbery and yucky. simples.
For the meatballs:
- 450g of turkey mince*** (use Quorn mince or similar vegetarian alternative)
- 4 handfuls finely chopped spinach
- 1 large red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 150g grated halloumi
- 1 handful of crispy onions (this is what they are)
- 1 red chilli de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2½ tbsp parsley (fresh is best but dried works too)
- A pinch of pepper
(Don’t add salt as halloumi is a VERY salty cheese)
***please please try get your meat from a butcher or vendor that treats their animals humanely! Yes, it probably will cost more, but at the end of the day what’s a few extra £££ in return for cruelty free meat.
For the marinara sauce:
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- A tiny pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp oregano
- 1½ tsp of brown sugar
- Pepper to taste
- A splash of olive oil
For the salad:
- Pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc)
- 1tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp radish finely sliced
- 1 bunch of spring onion
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 or 2 bags of Mixed salad leaves
- 1 avocado de-stoned, skinned and sliced
- Your favourite dressing
For the Quinoa:
- 1 cup of this stuff or similar alternative WASH IT FIRST!!!
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp coriander (fresh is best but dried works too)
- 2tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
The how to:
- Line an oven proof dish with baking parchment and pre-heat your oven to 180°
- If you have a food processor save yourself sometime and throw in the spinach, onion, de-seeded chilli and garlic. If you do not have one fear not my love just get to chopping and try do it as finely as possible without loosing a finger.
- Add the above to a big bowl with the mince (or veggie alternative), eggs, mustard, bread crumbs, crispy onions, smoked paprika, parsley and halloumi. Mix it all up.
- Now we scoop. Roll your balls in the palm of your hand gently and then place them evenly spaced in the oven proof dish.
- Place your dish on a middle shelf in the oven and leave to cook for 50-55mins
While the balls be bakin’ we get to makin’…
…I don’t think that’s quite as funny as I think it is, is it?
- Make your salad, have fun with it. Make it pretty.
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil. Add turmeric and the quinoa mixture cover and leave to simmer for 7-10 mins, stirring occasionally. As soon the water is absorbed take it off the heat. Add ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon coriander and mint. Then mix mix mix.
- Add your olive oil to a pan along with the tinned tomatoes,oregano, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic and onion powder. Stir on a high heat for about 7-10 mins.
- Check you on your balls. Are they done? Great! Plate up! Balls first lavished with your scrumptious marinara sauce. Use a wee bowl to shape your quinoa, just like back in the day when you built sandcastles at the beach. Add your sassy looking salad, et voila. You my dear are genius. Well done, eat up and most importantly ENJOY!